Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Over the River and Through the Woods to Grandmother's House We Go!


It's so hard to believe that tomorrow is Thanksgiving. We are planning to spend the day with loved ones talking and savoring turkey, cranberry sauce, and all the trimmings. The kids are excited because they'll get to play with their cousins who they don't get to see that often.

Today USA Today online featured a thought-provoking article (that I skimmed) about a teacher from Florida who's written a children's book entitled America's REAL First Thanksgiving. Please click here to read the article: http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2007-11-20-first-thanksgiving_N.htm Long story short, after conducting extensive research about the history of Thanksgiving, author Robyn Gioia challenges many of the steadfast beliefs that I remember being taught when I was a child (i.e. the first Thanksgiving was at Plymouth Rock and the Pilgrims and the Indians had turkey with mashed potatoes and corn from the Indians). It's an interesting article.
But, regardless of the specifics that occurred or didn't occur that 1st Thanksgiving, it's a wonderful time to reflect on our blessings. I'm so thankful to have a wonderful family, including my husband, 4 kids, parents, brother, in-laws, and friends. I'm happy to have a day to relax and spend with loved ones. I hope your Thanksgiving is a great one!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Thanks for stopping by my site and leaving some love, Lori! :) I appreciated your added thoughts on the movie boycott.

May you and yours have a blessed and fun-filled holiday!

Melissa

Melissa said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Lori! I hope you and your family have a blessed holiday together.

Melissa Hatfield

An Easter Mystery at 3 in the Morning!

Easter morning, 3 am we were awakened by our girls who were checking to see if the Easter Bunny had brought them any goodies. The girls ha...